Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Recipes

My daughter "L" asked me some time ago for some good recipes that the kids would like. So, I am writing a few out for her and anyone who might like them!!

Sorry "L"-- I found way too many for me to type-- (You know my keying issues!!!!)-- anyway hon, I am putting them in the mail --snail mail-- I am coping them today.

OK- someone asked for recipes using "lentils"-- Here are several that I use and my kids like. (I know I have interesting kids!!!)

Lentil,Kielbasa & Garlic Stew

2 TBS olive oil
2# turkey Kielbasa- cut in 1/2 " slices
1 lg onion-chopped
1 # carrots- 1/2 # half moons
4 med stalks celery
5 cloves garlic-crushed
6 cups water
2 cans (14oz each) chicken broth
2 cans (14.5oz ea) diced tomatoes
1 and 1/2 bags (16 oz each) lentils --picked over and rinsed

In 8 qt sauce pot heat 2 teas oil on med heat - add kielbasa and cook 4 to 5 min until browned- transfer to med bawl. In same pot use oil and add onions, carrots, celery- cook 15 min or until vegs are golden - stirring often. Stir in garlic --cook 1 min. Add water,broth, tomatoes,and lentils to pot; heat to boiling on high, Reduce heat to med and simmer uncovered 40 min. or until the lentils are tender. Stir in Kielbasa; heat thru. And serve. This makes 20 cups or 10 main dish servings. (this feeds my family with a loaf of homemade bread-- bread maker you guys!!!!

Vegetable Lentil Stew

4 cups V-8 or tomato juice
2 cans (14 oz ea) Italian stewed tomatoes
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans (raised and drained
1 can (15 oz ) garbanzo beans " " "
2 med carrots sliced thin
2 med potatoes cubed
1 lg onion-chopped
1 gr pepper chopped
1 sweet red pepper chopped
1 cup lentils
2 TBS minced parsley
2 tbs chili powder
2 teas dried basil
1 teas garlic powder
1 teas gr cumin
1 pkg (10 oz) fr chopped spinach
Topping:
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt
2 tbs chives

In dutch oven combine the first 15 ingred. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the lentils and veg's are tender. Stir in spinach- heat thru. Combine the toppings and dollop a TBS on each serving.
makes 13 cups--
I added another 1 cup of lentils, another can of kidney beans and it made more than enough for our family main dish- I put corn bread with it. and I did not use the topping-- the kids do not like plain yogurt.


Italian Lentil and Veg Stew

1 and 1/2 cups dried lentils rinsed
1 and 1/4 peeled butternut squash-cut in 1 in chunks (about 3 cups)
2 cups marinara sauce
2 cups green beans
1 med red pepper cut in 1 in pieces
1 lg potato- cut in 1 in chunks
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 teas minced garlic
1 tbs olive oil
serve with grated Parmesan

Mix lentils and 3 cups water in lg slow cooker. In lg bawl mix remaining ingred except olive oil. place this on lentils
Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours Stir in oil.
this makes 5 main dish servings

I have not tried this one yet- I would just double everything for my family.


Last but not least- and my kids love this one!! weird

Black-Eyed Pea Sausage Stew
1pkg (16oz) smoked sausage links- halved and sliced
1 sm onion chopped
2 cans (15 oz ea) black eyed peas -rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup beef broth
1/4 teas garlic powder
1/4 teas Cajun seasoning
1/4 teas pepper
1/8 teas salt
1/8 teas cayenne pepper
1/8 hot pepper sauce
1 and 1/2 cups fr corn

this yields 6 main servings- I basically did the recipe 1 and 1/2 times-- fed us
In lg skillet cook sausage and onion until meat is lightly brown, drain, stir in peas,tomatoes,tomato sauce,broth and seasonings. Cook and stir for 10 to 15 minutes until hot, and bubbly. Stir in corn until heated thru.

Enjoy!!
Blessings, Pamela Dawn

2 comments:

Created For His Glory said...

Thanks so much for these!!!!
Continued prayers my friend!
Love,
K

Aus said...

Good morning - might try the black eye pea sausage number - it's another snow day here so a good day to cook something like that!

hugs - aus and co.