Monday, January 19, 2009

Walking On Water







Saturday we woke up to 20 degree temps outside and to find ice on the sound behind our house. Obviously we don't get a lot of snow here, but ever so often it gets cold enough to freeze over the water. Of course, what do I hear first thing in the morning? "Dad, can we go walk on the ice?!?" Now, I pride myself in being a thoughtful dad. So I think to myself..."If one of these kids falls through the ice and gets pneumonia or worse, Pam is going to KILL me." Pam was at a friends house. In a matter of a couple of seconds, I pictured a few worse case scenarios. So I say what any loving and cautious dad should say in the face of these kinds of circumstances..."Yeah sure. Go ahead, just be careful." And I go get the camera. Who am I to put a wet blanket on kids just being kids.

And what do I see when I first step outside? Three kids standing tightly together on thin ice looking down into the water. OK, I never said that they were all members of Mensa. "Hey, you guys might want to spread out and not put all your weight into one spot." The edge of the ice is about 30 feet away and there are soft areas where the water is coming through each time one of them presses their feet down. So, I took a few memorable shots. It only took about 15 minutes before their shoes starting getting wet and they came inside.

It's memories like these that make being a kid just down right fun.

1 comment:

Rick Lawrenson said...

Back in '89 we had a week of temps that never rose above about 20 degrees. The sound was frozen completely across and was thick.

The most amazing sight was the hundreds of dead sea gulls on the ice. Apparently they would land on the ice and their feet would freeze to the ice.