Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Life- Kids - wow

This might be the first of many blogs or not! I just really know that things are different in my heart. And I would bet that I don't even know really how much different yet.

To be completely honest recovering from jet lag and finding my balance with 3 new little ones in my house has been an adjustment that I had no idea how BIG would be. And because of that, I really have not totally processed my experiences in Addis Ababa. I know that the Lord is trying to tell me things, and impress on my heart so many things from Africa.

I naively thought, oh- 3 more kids, how hard can that be? WOW- HARD-- yes, I am not new at this and YES, it is hard. This is our third adoption, all of them older children with English being their 3rd language. Each adoption at the first month, has had really different issues. How do you prepare for that???? I have had to be on my knees talking to God about this-- I am so thankful that I have a husband that is "totally hands on" and that I have a Heavenly Father who hears me as I cry out to him. (better that I cry out to Him, than yell at the kids.......)

I have wondered if my blog readers would like some more of our day to day victories and our struggles............. Would it help those of you that are in the adoption process? Sometimes, it is hard to share the hard stuff in our life's- but, I have said yes, to God to be open and try to have this blog be helpful- Please leave comments if you all want more details---

Juan is out of town this week, I am helping out at my job, (they are hiring a new me) I am packing up our house for our move later this summer, living with a painful tooth- (root canal done yesterday and the pain hasn't stopped yet) preparing for some 4Th of July company and family (yea!) And trying to let the kids have a wonderful summer at the ocean!!-- OK- it is not all working out as planned- BUT, I am in the middle of trying. ;)

At dinner, we as a family spend a lot of time working on the English-- I know, it is kind of boring for the "older kids of our household" but, gee- they all had to learn English too!!! Well, Juan is definitely much more patience that I am at this-- (Please come home!!) I am ready to just jump up out of my chair and grab a child by the neck-- I have only said these English words 60 million times.... OK- maybe not 60 million.. but a lot- and the good news is that so far, I have stayed in my chair-- victory for God!!

The kids are all doing great now at the ocean- They love it- (THANK YOU all that go to the ocean with me to help me with "eyes" on 7 kids......) I think we really might have another surfer- Justin is just so in love with the water and the waves..... He has NO fear of the ocean and after the lifeguards have pulled him out - not once but Twice... I think he now understands how serious the ocean can be-

OK- the blog didn't really go the way I had thought it would with the first few sentences- so, I'll have lots more to write!!

Blessings,
Pamela Dawn

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Am praying for the adjustment of all concerned. God has called your family to a HUGE task, with HUGE rewards. Hang in there...and please do tell us the nitty-gritty. Helps us to pray, if nothing else! :)

Blessings...Nancy in CT

Renee said...

Prayer is the answer to everything. So tell you Blog friends so we can at least pray for you. Remember you are not along, God is with you everyday.

Mamita J said...

Pamela Dawn,

I've been praying for you. I know this must be exhausting - let alone the extra "bumps" you've hit.

Hang in there. God is purifying you as he works on these kids. It's not easy, but it is good.

Julie

ryleeandnoahsmom said...

As someone who is just beginning the adoption journey, it would be so helpful to hear of the day to day living issues...both victories and struggles. Your honesty is so refreshing!

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear more details, In the future I would like to adopt older kids as well and theres not a lot of information on this topic, I would love to hear the good things and of course you cant leave the difficult things out.
I really love your blog and your family :)

Karis said...

I too would love to hear more about your daily struggles and victories -- thanks for being willing to share. My husband and I have been married for just over a year. We don't plan on having kids for several years, but adoption has been something that's always been close to my heart (I have two adopted brothers and my step-dad adopted me). If we do adopt it'll be a ways off, but I've been praying that if adoption is what the Lord wants for us, He'll start preparing us now. Your honesty about your adoption experiences is a blessing! Thank you for sharing :).

Unknown said...

Good Morning Pam,

Big HUGS!

#1 I totally can relate to this post in so many ways. I think you should definitely pray on sharing the good, bad and the ugly part of transitioning. I know for me when I do it touches many hearts and gives them hope and a reality check.

So many people adopting have a misconceived notion that this child has been as excited about us as we have about them - that the child has been counting down every minute until their court date, the embassy date and coming home. I don't think so. Maybe for a few older children that have met the parents a few times or write letters back and forth - but they truly can't possibly grasp what is about to happen when they get on that plane to America. It is impossible.

I also think every homecoming is different with every child. We say prepare for the hurricane month in our home. Every time we bring a child home we experience 4-6 weeks of serious transition and not necessarily with the child brought home - it effects our other children differently too.

Our son that came home from Ethiopia in January has had one week of issues. That is it. But his homecoming has effected many of the other children in really interesting ways - some good and other horrible.

One of our children was not great before and has completely gone down hill since. Almost trying for even more attention - which saddly isn't going the way he had hoped.

I give it all to God and by His grace day by day we are finding our way with 8 - 7 of which are under 8.

We are praying on whether we are to adopt more - what ages and from where. We know it will be another hurricane season if and when we do - but again it is all by God's grace that we will do it!

Praying with you and for you as you continue to teach the children English. I know that is a tough struggle too.

They will learn because they have to. Even though three of yours have each other to speak with soon they will want to speak to your friends, family and people they meet at church. It will happen. Give it a the time they need. It is the one thing they can keep that is familiar to them after a whirl wind of huge changes!

Where are you moving? Off of OBX?

Love you!
Jill

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honesty, Pam. I've been praying for you, but now will be much more SPECIFIC!

Love you-all!!

Nancy in PA

The Gang's Momma! said...

I love reading whatever you guys write, even if I don't always comment. I mean, hey, we only have one adoption under our belt and I learn so much every time I'm here. I can't imagine all you guys are adjusting too. Thanks for being honest and humble - and for sharing the good and the bad. It's why I come back again and again. XOXOXOX

Jeanna said...

Pam, Thank you so much for sharing with us last night. I was overwhelmed and in awe of all the things you have overcome in your life. You have a great way of sharing your story and I hope some day you will consider documenting your lifestory. I know you don't have time now!