Thursday, August 14, 2008

Praying

Our church family is about to launch into something we're calling "40 Days of prayer". I'm not exactly sure what the entire goal is, but when people pray, there doesn't always have to be a specific goal. I think. Our pastor put up a sign up sheet for everyone to pick a 15min time slot throughout a 24 hour day. I chose 4:14am. I'm normally up by 4:45, so it wasn't too much of a stretch for me. I figured, making it challenging would help me not to be to complacent about it. Plus I'm assured that nothing will distract me at that time of day. They set up a blog for people to comment on it during the 40 days.

Since Pam and I are going through this adoption process, that's a no-brainer as to what will be a major topic of discussion. I think these types of times should also be used to try to listen. That is the hardest part for me. Just listening to what the Lord has to say, without interrupting. Some will probably try fasting as well. I can foresee trying it at least once for a day or two, it will depend on what the Lord leads me to do.

They say that a good habit takes about a month to form, so if I can be faithful to this, it will be a very good habit to start or restart. I'm not very faithful in my quiet time (I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that). It goes in spurts and sputters.

After the 40 days of prayer we will be studying the 40 days of a Purpose driven life together as a church family. I look forward to that as well.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

You have a gorgeous family!! I just found your blog, and you aren't old, we are 51 and 49 and are adopting a 3 1/2 yr old from Ethiopia.

Debbie